Introduction: Lending and Debt on US Native Land In 2018, the Keepseagle settlement shed light on widespread lending discrimination across the native agricultural landscape. Native Americans sued the US Department of Agriculture in an attempt to settle historical lending discrimination, which resulted in a 720 million dollar settlement, split between individual payouts to native producers […]
Bison numbers increased by a whopping 1031% between 2012 and 2017 on Native American Lands. This increase far outpaces the increase in the number of bison nationally which was only 13.36%.
This is according to data from Census of Agriculture for American Indian Reservations in a newly compiled data dashboard developed by the Native Land Information System. According to the data, the bison population on native-operated farms increased over 10 fold from 308 to 3486 heads.
According to the most recent 2017 data from the USDA Census of Agriculture for American Indian Reservations 86.33% of harvested cropland on American Indian Reservations is operated by non-natives. In total, this amounts to 3.3 million acres of land operated by non-natives compared to only 532 thousand acres operated by Native Americans (see chart below). […]
Today, the US Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) holds 66 million acres of lands in trust for various Indian tribes and individuals. Approximately 46 million acres (69%) of this land is used for farming and grazing by livestock and game animals. However, Native Americans are not the primary beneficiaries of agriculture on their lands. According to the […]
Increasing the proportion of women in agriculture has been a longstanding goal of agencies like USDA, FSA and programs like 4H but these programs may be able to learn a thing or two from Indian Country which has nearly equal participation among men and women. This is according to data collected in the 2017 USDA […]
Non-Natives Control 81% of Harvested Cropland and Capture 74% of Agricultural Revenue on South Dakota Reservations
According to the most recent (2017) USDA Census of Agriculture for American Indian reservations, a total of $719 million dollars was generated from agricultural production on Native American reservations in South Dakota, yet only 23.87% of that income was collected by Native Americans, the rest (76.13%) was collected by non-native farmers and ranchers operating on […]
About this Dashboard This data dashboard, developed by the Native Lands Advocacy Project estimates 177 years of lost agriculture revenue from lands ceded from Native Americans from 1840 to 1897. The dashboard makes it possible to view the total lost agriculture revenue from one or more cessions (by clicking on cession polygon in map or […]
Explore (and compare) The Data From the 2012 & 2017 USDA Census of Agriculture for American Indian Reservations.
The Native Lands Advocacy Project is happy to announce the beta launch of our interactive data dashboard for the 2012 and 2017 census of Agriculture for American Indian Reservations. The Census of Agriculture for American Indian Reservations represents the most complete source of data on agricultural producers and farms on American Indian Reservations. The NLIS […]
The NLIS’ Cropland Data Layer Dashboard Gives Unprecedented View of What’s Growing on US Native Lands
Today, the US Department of Interior’s Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) holds 56.2 million acres of lands in trust for various Indian tribes and individuals. Approximately 46 million acres (81 %) of this land is used for farming and grazing by livestock and game animals, yet despite these vast resources, for at least the last 100 years, Native […]