Committed to Native Lands rights and sovereignty? Looking to put your skills in service of a meaningful project at the forefront of applied research to help build regenerative and resilient territories? You might be just who we are looking for to take the NLAP/NLIS to the next level! Check our open positions below
Position Announcement: Researcher in Applied Tribal Natural Resource Management
The Native Lands Advocacy Project is looking for a motivated candidate for an 18 month full-time position in data development for tribal geographies. The NLAP is a project of Village Earth and the developer of the Native Land Information System (NLIS); an online repository of native land agricultural, climate and natural resource management data. Following the launch of the NLIS, we are starting a new project to tailor natural resource management datasets to facilitate the development of Tribal Integrated Resource Management Plans (IRMPs) and Agriculture Resource Management Plans (ARMPS) in partnership with the Intertribal Agriculture Council (IAC) and the Indian Land Tenure Foundation (ILTF).
Following an established protocol, the researcher will be responsible for the development of data outputs to facilitate the completion of IRMPs and ARMPs for use for tribal entities. To accomplish this work, you will join a dynamic team dedicated to promoting native agriculture and tribal sovereignty in the United States. You will be supervised and guided through the work but are expected to adapt quickly to a fast-moving applied research setting. Knowledge of tribal and/or Native Land issues in the United States is required for this position. Individuals with Native American, Alaskan or Hawaiian descent are particularly encouraged to apply.
Work will start January 15th, 2022 and end July 15th, 2023 and will be done primarily remotely with the possibility of short fieldworks in the United States.
- Process tabular and spatial Data
- Deliver Key Data Outputs in Table and Interactive Tableau Formats
- Write metadata and Summary Reports
- Write associated Blog Posts and Reports
- Keeping tasks on schedule
- Masters Degree or Bachelor with significant experience in Natural Resource Management, Environmental or Social Sciences with a focus on data analysis
- Significant Knowledge of US Native Land issues, history and/or policies
- Experience using QGIS/ArcGIS, Excel and/or willingness to learn new software
- Excellent writing skills
- Used to work independently but within a team
- Knowledge of team management software
- Experience using Tableau and Tableau Prep
- Experience using WordPress and/or publishing content on websites
- Knowledge of Tribal Integrated Resource Management and or Agricultural Resource Management planning.
- Other quantitative/mixed methods data analysis skills
30k-40k depending on background, skills and experience
Submit your application before December 15, 2021 via the application form below.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Dr. Aude Chesnais at email@example.com